Visiting a Monastery

Roman and I, along with the Father/Son group, visited the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA.  This wasn’t the first time for many of the men in the group, but it was for us.  In fact, it’s the first time I have ever been to a monastery.  I wasn’t sure what to expect.  Would we have to be quiet?  Would there be a lot of praying?

The first place we visited was their museum, and they had us sit down to watch a 30 minute video that outlined how the monastery came to be and what life was like as a monk.  While I have no intention of becoming a monk, the video was fascinating.  And even better was the Q&A with a monk after it was over.  This monk had been there since 1951, around the time they were building the monastery by hand.  It took them 10 years, while living in a barn.  The kids asked some great questions and he had some great stories.  But not long from now none of the original monks will be around to talk about the building of the monastery.

Afterwards, we sat in on a 15-minutes prayer service, but this wasn’t so good.  First, we were in a balcony that looked straight out instead of down where the action was, so you saw nothing.  Second, it was really low volume and I couldn’t understand any of it.

Once we got out of there, we went back to the museum to read over the displays on the walls.  I should say I tried to read them; Roman and the rest of the the kids weren’t too interested.

Last but not least was the gift shop.  It was a really large gift shop that I believe Julie would have loved.  I thought about maybe getting a gift for her, but what to get?  I ended up getting two postcards out of a lame selection of three.  But then Roman and I started looking at the jars of food and also the fudge.  They had been talking up the fudge but I thought maybe they had a place where you watched them make it and sample it.  No such luck.  Instead, it was just a few boxes that weren’t exactly dominantly displayed – 3 different flavors.  We went with basic chocolate fudge, and it was $12.99 for a box.  And to me, it was nothing special.  Sorry.

It took us a long time to get home.  First, we were debating where to eat and I kept making mistakes on the exit we got off.  Roman wanted Taco Bell from the start, but then I tried to convince him Chick-Fil-A was the way to go, but it was too far off the exit.  We got Taco Bell, but it’s the last time I eat INSIDE a Taco Bell.  Actually makes the food taste worst.  To top it off, I made the mistake of taking Riverside Dr back home and the construction made it horrendous.  It’s a 1 hours drive, but all in all it was closed to 2 hours.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s